GIVE A $H!T, DROP A BRICK! We flush our toilets with potable water. Even an ultra-low flush toilet uses up to 6 litres of clean water per flush. An older toilet uses up to 18 litres per flush. Putting a brick, or any object denser than water, in the cistern will reduce the volume of the flush and save water. The City of London have some more tips of water conservation here. And then there's always 'if it's yellow, let it mellow...'

GIVE A $H!T, DROP A BRICK!

We flush our toilets with potable water.

Even an ultra-low flush toilet uses up to 6 litres of clean water per flush. An older toilet uses up to 18 litres per flush.

Putting a brick, or any object denser than water, in the cistern will reduce the volume of the flush and save water.

The City of London have some more tips of water conservation here.

And then there's always 'if it's yellow, let it mellow...'

CARRY A CUP

Over 1.6 billion disposable coffee cups thrown out in Canada every year.

Most paper cups are coated in polyethylene, which means they cannot be recycled nor composted.

Taking into account the paper, the paper sleeve, production and shipping, each cup emits about 0.11 kilograms of CO2.  And that's before it has been disposed of!

Once in landfill, polyethylene releases methane, a greenhouse gas 84 times more potent than carbon dioxide.  Landfills produce 25% of Canada's methane emissions.

Buy yourself a Keep Cup, online through Eight Ounce, or at Locomotive Espressoor any reusable cup.  Carry it with you, or just ask for a ceramic cup, sit down and take the time to enjoy your coffee.

 
COMPOST 30% of household waste in Ontario is compostable.  Composting kitchen and garden waste saves landfill space. When organic material decomposes in a landfill without oxygen it produces greenhouse gases.  When organic matter is composted it returns valuable nutrients to the soil, feeds beneficial micro-organisms, insects and worms, and improves the texture, oxygen-retaining capabilities and moisture-holding capacity of the soil. The City of London have a selection of compost bins available at very reasonable prices. Or you could always build your own...

COMPOST

30% of household waste in Ontario is compostable. 

Composting kitchen and garden waste saves landfill space.

When organic material decomposes in a landfill without oxygen it produces greenhouse gases. 

When organic matter is composted it returns valuable nutrients to the soil, feeds beneficial micro-organisms, insects and worms, and improves the texture, oxygen-retaining capabilities and moisture-holding capacity of the soil.

The City of London have a selection of compost bins available at very reasonable prices.

Or you could always build your own...

STING UP A SOLAR POWERED DRYER Unlike most household appliances, clothes dryers have not become significantly more efficient over the past 30 years. The carbon footprint of a load of laundry: 0.6 kg CO2e washed at 30°C, dried on the line 0.7 kg CO2e washed at 40°C, dried on the line 2.4 kg CO2e washed at 40°C, tumble-dried in a vented dryer 3.3 kg CO2e washed at 60°C, dried in a combined washer-dryer The Guardian Drying clothes on a line reduces emissions and your hydro bill, and the ultraviolet light kills bacteria, further eliminating odours.   

STING UP A SOLAR POWERED DRYER

Unlike most household appliances, clothes dryers have not become significantly more efficient over the past 30 years.

The carbon footprint of a load of laundry:
0.6 kg CO2e washed at 30°C, dried on the line
0.7 kg CO2e washed at 40°C, dried on the line
2.4 kg CO2e washed at 40°C, tumble-dried in a vented dryer
3.3 kg CO2e washed at 60°C, dried in a combined washer-dryer

The Guardian

Drying clothes on a line reduces emissions and your hydro bill, and the ultraviolet light kills bacteria, further eliminating odours. 

 

CONSCIOUS CONSUMPTION In 2004 Canadians produced 13.4 million tonnes of waste.  That's 418kg per person.  73% of this waste was dumped into land fill, while the remaining 27% was recycled.   AVOID DISPOSABLES Half of the plastic that ends up in land fills across North America is disposable, or single use plastic.  These items are used momentarily but will out last us.  It doesn't make sense.  BUY LOCAL and ORGANIC Reduce your carbon footprint, improve your health, and support your local economy. Londoners are blessed with a wide range of local and organic cafés, restaurants, breweries and grocers, some are listed here. If every household shifted $10 of their weekly food spending to local food, it would result in $2.4 billion in additional sales and create 10,000 new jobs.  

CONSCIOUS CONSUMPTION

In 2004 Canadians produced 13.4 million tonnes of waste.  That's 418kg per person.  73% of this waste was dumped into land fill, while the remaining 27% was recycled.  

AVOID DISPOSABLES

Half of the plastic that ends up in land fills across North America is disposable, or single use plastic.  These items are used momentarily but will out last us.  It doesn't make sense. 

BUY LOCAL and ORGANIC

Reduce your carbon footprint, improve your health, and support your local economy.

Londoners are blessed with a wide range of local and organic cafés, restaurants, breweries and grocers, some are listed here.

If every household shifted $10 of their weekly food spending to local food, it would result in $2.4 billion in additional sales and create 10,000 new jobs.